Thursday, March 26, 2009



Playing in my journal, I notice that I have a love affair going with certain images/objects - butterflies, hearts, fleur de lis, dragonflies.  I know there are others as well, but I do seem to have a thing for these items.  The journal page on the left was an experiment using some scraps and then melting beeswax over them.   I have flirted with the idea of getting a melting pot, but today someone in my group mentioned that it's just as easy to use a small crockpot.  I'm still using just a small quilt iron or craft iron and melting the wax over the picture and then spreading around with the iron. If anyone can tell me the difference between encaustic wax and beeswax, please leave a comment.  I've see large paintings done with encaustic wax.  I would think that is an expensive way to go. 

4 comments:

Diane said...

Very nice, Marilyn. Unfortunately, I know nothing about wax other than I love the way it looks.

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

These are beautiful Marilyn. The colors are very rich and the white marks on the second piece add great texture.
Can't help with the wax though!

marianne said...

hi marilyn- took an encaustic class last year and the supplies are expensive. as far as i know, the difference is that the encaustic has a damar medium added to help it cure (and harden) over time. it will still melt, but is a bit sturdier than regular beeswax. i'm sure that googling can give you a better explanation....

don't you love to find these recurring images? i have quite a few that keep coming back! love the journal pages-