Sunday, December 23, 2012

Wading In

I'm toying with the idea of taking a photography class from Vivienne McMaster.  She was kind enough to send me 
her eBook called Wading In.  It's all about self-portraiture. I suppose it's also a form of self-examination. I panicked 
at the thought of publicly displaying images of myself.....on my blog even!  I have to admit this first photo 
was doctored a bit with a texture.  Okay..... I'll get more daring as time goes on, right?  First, I need to get 
the hang of 
taking photos with my iPhone.  This was bright light 
mid-day, so shadows and glare are prominent.  I was hoping they would hide some of the wrinkles, but they 
actually just magnify them.
I've said this before but, for the life of me, I cannot understand why there are so many more nooks and crannies 
in my face and neck in a photograph that 
do not show up in the mirror.  I look in the mirror everyday very closely when applying make-up.  It never looks like this!
The next photo I took when I went out 
to my driveway to capture an image of the stains the Liquidambar leaves make after a rain.  I love the pattern.  In the process I captured a self-portrait of my shadow.  I rather like it, and notice..... there are no wrinkles showing!

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
unknown ~

Happy two days before Christmas, everyone.

5 comments:

Carole M. said...

well done Marilyn; I believe a photograph we can see ourselves as we are, more defined than appears in the mirror. Take the mirror outdoors and look again, you will see a differing look to the one you see indoors etc. We are who we are, and when you think about it, everyone alongside of us is growing older too; we're ALL heading the same direction. Some of us are just a smidgen ahead of the others that's all. We were there once too. Congratulations for taking on the revealing portraiture photography course (if you do), and I look forward to seeing where you go with it. I like the new header for Christmas too Marilyn. Best wishes...

DVArtist said...

Great job.
Happy Christmas to you and your family.
Nicole/Beadwright

julie said...

Ohhh...the camera trick...I admire your willingness to share in the culture that worships youth and perfection...but you know...we earned those wrinkles...they show we have lived...felt...experienced...I'm suspect of a face over a certain age that shows no signs of life lived..
thanks for coming by my blog...

Geri said...

What a great experiment and exercise in vulnerability and also you always have yourself as a model!!!

Reena said...

Bravo for jumping in and trying. Have a great New Year!